November 23, 2022
Tis the season to travel, whether over the river and through the woods to grandmother’s house or to a luxury hotel or comfy Airbnb. With all of this travel, it’s no wonder we see an uptick in Bed Bug infestations this time of year. Bed Bugs are small, flat, insects that feed on the blood of people (and even animals) while they’re sleeping. What’s really scary about Bed Bug? They can be anywhere, and they LOVE to travel. Hitching a ride on clothing or luggage is a favorite way to hop from place to place, leaving infestations in their tiny wakes. This is why being vigilant about checking and treating for Bed Bugs is so important!
Here’s how you can protect against Bed Bugs while you travel:
1. When traveling, a hard-shell suitcase is your best option. Bed Bugs will have less opportunity to cling to the outside of your case, so you’re less likely to be bringing them home.
2. Upon entering your room, the very first thing you’ll want to do is place your luggage in the center of the bathroom or in the tub. Just like with the hard-shell suitcase, Bed Bugs don’t like slick surfaces so they’re less likely to be there.
3. Now begins the hunt. Pull back the sheets and check the mattress and box-spring seams for bugs, focusing on the head of the bed. Bed Bugs, despite their name, can be found on most furniture if there is an infestation.
Per the CDC: “They hide during the day in places such as seams of mattresses, box springs, bed frames, headboards, dresser tables, inside cracks or crevices, behind wallpaper, or any other clutter or objects around a bed. Bed bugs have been shown to be able to travel over 100 feet in a night but tend to live within 8 feet of where people sleep.”
Here's what you're looking for.
4. If you find anything that looks like the above, ask to switch rooms right away and make sure it’s not an adjacent room.
5. At the end of your trip (for extra precaution) immediately launder your clothes, vacuum the inside and outside of your suitcase, and you can wipe down your shoes with hot water.
If you do happen to bring Bed Bugs home with you after your travels, rely on Black Diamond Pest Control! Call 877-DEAD-BUG if you notice any insects in your home or small red bites on your body. We can assess and treat any issue! The quicker you call, the more manageable the situation. Happy Travels!